- Eggplants – small size 8-10 (thinly & evenly vertically sliced)
- Green chilies – 3 (thinly sliced)
- Onion – 1 Medium (thinly sliced)
- Greek Yogurt – 2 cups (whisked)
- Panch Phoran (Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Fenugreek seeds, Fennel seeds & Nigella/Kalonji seeds) – ½ Teaspoon each
- Turmeric powder – ½ Teaspoon
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1 pinch
- Cilantro – 1 Fistful
- Oil – 2 Table spoon
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Salt (to taste)
- Sugar – ½ Teaspoon
- Wash and cut the eggplants. Marinate with the Turmeric powder and salt for about 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk the Greek yogurt. Add sugar and salt to it and keep it aside.
- Heat a wide frying pan and add 1 tblsp of oil. Shallow fry eggplant slices until cooked and brown.
- Keep roasting them delicately. Do not over cook. Once cooked keep them aside to cool down slightly.
- In the same pan, add the rest of the oil. After the oil heats up, add the panch phoran and let it fry/temper for about 10-12 seconds. To this add the Asafoetida, sliced onion, green chilies, curry leaves and ginger. Fry on medium heat until the onions are well roasted and turn golden brown. Set aside this onion mixture to cool.
- Add eggplants to the whisked greek yogurt mixture and mix.
- To this now add the onion mixture and mix gently.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. Allow to rest for 10 mins for flavors to blend.
Enjoy with hot Roti or bread of your choice.